I’ve attended writers’ conferences, one or two a year, for a long time. One by one, I’ve added to my list of creature comforts that take some of my personal stresses out of the wonderful whirlwind experience. For one thing, meeting and greeting old and new friends is much more pleasant without sneezes and itchy eyes. (If you want more info in any of these items a click on the photo will whisk you to Amazon for the details and reviews.)
1. Top of the list – Wein Mini-mate. This little gadget is designed to keep my personal air allergen, bacteria, and virus free. I don’t want to arrive at the conference with allergies flaring or a virus brewing. It may not will work for everyone, but it works for me.
[amazon_image id=”B000UX9G3O” link=”true” target=”_blank” size=”medium” ]Air Supply Mini-Mate Personal Ionic Air Purifier–Clear[/amazon_image]
2, While traveling and at the conference, I like everything within reach so I’m not distracted by searches for misplaced items I need… like my ticket or identification… money, things like that. This purse has a slot or pocket for everything, reduces the weight of my “stuff” with a built-in, easy-access wallet, and the cross-body strap eliminates the stress on my shoulder. I also have this item on my replace-immediately-list.
[amazon_image id=”B001TDKQ3I” link=”true” target=”_blank” size=”medium” ]Tignanello Multi Pocket T94505 Multi Pocket X Body,Black,One Size[/amazon_image]
3. To look my best, I need to see the back of my hair and a little magnification for applying my eyeliner is good. It folds flat and slips into its very own little black bag for travel.
[amazon_image id=”B002HRENPW” link=”true” target=”_blank” size=”medium” ]Jerdon MC449N 5.5-Inch Folding Travel Mirror, 10X Magnification, Nickel Finish[/amazon_image]
4. I don’t like clutter in the hotel bathroom. Found this hanging cosmetic case conference before last. Works great for me and if you have roommates… need I say more?
[amazon_image id=”B0055WNFXW” link=”true” target=”_blank” size=”medium” ]Hanging Toiletry Cosmetics Travel Bag, Black by Bags for Less[/amazon_image]
5. I need a little added protection from allergens and just discovered Choloraseptic Allergen Block. I take Zyrtec and use this along with my Mini-mate in high-risk areas. Not sure what helps most but my allergies are under control.
[amazon_image id=”B004B4RBBM” link=”true” target=”_blank” size=”medium” ]Chloraseptic Allergen Block Gel, 0.1 Oz (Pack of 3)[/amazon_image]
6. My Kindle goes everywhere I go especially writers’ conferences. I like to read before going to sleep. If there’s noise in the next room or the hallway, I can plug in the Kindle earphones and listen to music, an audio book, or use the text to voice feature to read an eBook as I drift off to sleep. Writers’ conferences are “inspiration hot-spots.” So, when I get a flash of insight, I need my WIP close at hand. I keep a current version on my Kindle. I can search, highlight, and even add a note, anywhere, anytime. When I get home, I call up my notes and update the file on my PC. Works great for me. You probably already have an eBook reader, maybe it has these features, but if you want to see Amazon’s latest offerings, here you go:
I have the Kindle keyboard:
[amazon_image id=”B002FQJT3Q” link=”true” target=”_blank” size=”medium” ]Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display[/amazon_image]
Dan has the Fire. I might borrow it and leave my netbook at home:
[amazon_image id=”B0051VVOB2″ link=”true” target=”_blank” size=”medium” ]Kindle Fire, Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi[/amazon_image]
Writer’s conferences are my favorite places and creature comforts make the experience better.